Friday, May 20, 2011



I spent a few hours this afternoon working on the coasters for the grout study. Since the weather has remained nasty, I set up a wet space in my studio. It actually worked well and I didn't make a huge mess. And it was relatively warm, too!

For the coasters I used the same unglazed porcelain tile and stained glass as I used on the table. I mixed up a batch of thin set and then my first grout sample which was charcoal. After pre-grouting and cleaning the lizard mosaic, I spread thin set on the tile base. I also back-buttered the mosaic with thin set to even out the difference between the tile and glass thicknesses. After aligning the mosaic on the tile, I laid another larger tile over it and tapped carefully with a hammer to set the mosaic into the thin set. I then wet the backing paper and peeled it off a few minutes later. The mosaic was then carefully cleaned again to remove excess grout. When the thin set and grout have had time to set (a couple of days) I will re-grout the top surface. The grout colors are charcoal, natural grey, and tan. As expected, I like the charcoal best. The natural grey simply mutes the whole thing. Tan looks good. I could actually consider that one also. I'll make the final decision tomorrow. I'm ready to get the table finished!

No comments:

Post a Comment