Friday, April 22, 2011

The St. George Arts Festival was spectacular! Wow! My husband and I went down to the Festival and spent several hours looking at the incredible works of the talented and gifted artists represented there. Paintings, photographs, sculptures, woodworking, ceramics (Yes, I did make a couple of small purchases!), jewelry, stained glass, fused glass, and one mosaic booth. I can't list them all, but it was so worth the trip down to see everything.

The mosaic booth was great--mostly mosaicked mirror frames in geometric patterns using cut stained glass as tesserae. I liked their choice of colors, although I do not really care for the very reflective iridescent glass they used in many of the frames. (It reminds me of the color of gasoline on water.) I prefer looking into glass--most stained glass has real depth and an inner dimension that the iridescent glass just doesn't have. I did think this husband/wife team had several very elegant pieces. All of their pieces were very similar (mirrors) though, and I like to see more variation. They did have two vases (still geometrics) that were nice.

We loved the Arts Festival. I am considering applying for acceptance next year. It would be a big step for me, but one I feel I should take. I need to pursue a more aggressive marketing strategy so that I actually turn a real profit. Of course, I also need to frost-proof my studio so I can work year round! I did not like having to take the whole winter off this year. I certainly learned something about my new space--it needs mucho insulation!!

No comments:

Post a Comment